Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hangover 3 = Cars 2?

Today I saw The Hangover Part III. It was... funny? It wasn't as good as the first one, not by a long shot, but it was... decent. Definitely better than the second one, I'll tell you that much. The movie, about the Wolfpack taking one last trip to Vegas to recover $20 million in gold that Mr. Chow stole (that's really what it's about), definitely had a few surprises. Most of the jokes from the trailer were in the first couple minutes, although those were the best ones. All in all though, if you're looking for guy humor, this movie will deliver. It's almost hard to grade this movie because I have such mixed feelings about it. However, I have to, so I'll give it a C+. BTW, I'm changing my Iron Man 3 grade to A-. I would give Part 3 a higher grade, but the plot was just strange and stupid.
Which brings me to my next topic. The Hangover Part Three is Cars 2. Not necessarily the plot, but the movie itself. First, let's look at Cars 2, since I just told you about The Hangover Part Tres. Cars 2 is about Mater, a supporting character in Cars 1, accidentally getting involved in an international incident that almost kills his best friend. Kinda like how in The Hangover Part Trois, Alan accidentally gets involved in an international incident that almost kills his best man. Both movies got pretty mixed reviews, although Cars 2 is considered by most to be not the worst Pixar movie, everyone seems to have that one Pixar movie they despise. For me, it's A Bug's Life, and for my brother, it's WALL-E. Similarly, The Hangover Part Shalosh isn't the worst Hangover movie, that honor goes to the second one. I also have very mixed feelings about both of them. I think they're both decent movies, but I keep finding myself distracted by how stupid of a concept they are. I struggle to comprehend how someone would be taken seriously when they pitched these conflicts.
"Alright guys, here's my idea. The thing people didn't like about the first Cars movie was the plot, not the characters or the tone, right?"
"Obviously. What's your point?"
"Why don't we make the second movie a spy movie? Everyone loves spy movies, that's why The Pink Panther 2 and Get Smart did so well. And with these characters that everyone loves, it's a win-win!" Note: I liked Get Smart. There seems to be a trend in Steve Carrell movies that no one likes but me, like Evan Almighty or Burt Wonderstone. Moving on;
"OK, guys, here's the plan. You know why no one liked Part II? it was Part I all over again. So let's make something entirely different. Just think of everything no one would expect from a Hangover movie."
"OK, how about rehab? And a funeral? And a gold heist?"
"Perfect. There's our movie. We'll also be giving the annoyingly-voiced Asian guy a much bigger role."
"Sounds good."
Now, don't get me wrong. There are obviously a lot of differences between The Hangover Part ∞ and Cars 2. But I recommend them equally highly. Interpret that however you want. Also, a brief announcement. In a few weeks, I will be compiling a list of the top ten most disappointing superhero movies. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment