Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Internship Is Disappointing

Well, The Internship came out, and I was excited. The old Wedding Crashers team back together again, a movie taking place mostly at Google HQ, there was very little that I wasn't excited about with this movie. Then I found out that none of the actual team from Wedding Crashers was involved with this movie, besides the two main actors. Then I found out that the creative team behind this one was Vince Vaughn, who only wrote two other movies: Couples Retreat and The Break-Up, and Shawn Levy, who only made one other good movie: Date Night. Other than that, he's made Real Steel, Night at the Museum, and all of those Steve Martin reboots. Then I read the reviews. But I was still giving this movie the benefit of the doubt. Plenty of good movies were unpopular in their time, like The Big Lebowski or... Wedding Crashers, actually, which got very mixed reviews when it was first released. This got my hopes up and I was looking forward to seeing The Internship.
I was not pleased. It's not that this was a terrible movie; it had potential. It just wasn't very funny. In fact, it was a bad movie in almost every aspect. For one thing, it was far too predictable. There was nothing new about this story, and the main characters weren't interesting. They were just 40-something Jeff Winger types who were down on their luck. In fact, now that I mention it, it's quite clear that this movie was going for a Community-type movie, but failed miserably. I don't think there was a single part of this movie that was funny enough for me to consider it somewhat worth my while.

Well, there was this one part. As you may have known from the trailers, Vince and Owen lose their jobs because they don't understand technology. I won't say how this made them lose their jobs, but it's very obvious. When Owen tells his sister about this incident, she suggests that he go work for her brother-in-law, played by Will Ferrell. At first, he adamantly denies, but we later see him working at the mattress store that his Will manages. This scene, this character, this setup, everything about this is just perfect. Unfortunately, Vince Vaughn ruins it by convincing Owen to come work for Google. I swear to god, this scene is the best scene I've seen all year. It is fucking hilarious. If Vince and Owen worked at that mattress store, or they didn't, and the whole movie was about Will Ferrell's character, that would have been fantastic. If this movie was every song on the radio right now, this scene would be Macklemore. It's that good. But... the rest of this movie sucks. So, overall, I give it a D+, because that one scene, coupled with the first two or three scenes in the movie, is enough to bring it up 20 percentage points. If you see this movie, and you get to this scene, and you don't think it's spectacular, watch the rest of the movie. I think you'll agree.

P.S. I'm working on that disappointing superhero movie list. School's out, so I'll have more time to think about it. It should be done within the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment