Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Late Entry: The Way, Way Back

Yep, I actually saw The Way, Way Back. I'll bet you thought I was bluffing. Nope, I actually saw it. And it was... pretty good. I mean, it wasn't phenomenal, and the first ten, twenty minutes were boring as fuck, but it was good. It was funny, it was thought-provoking, I got out with the theater with a smile on my face. Let me just say, I hated this movie for a while. But then one character that changed my whole point of view.
What character was this? Was it Steve Carrell? Nat Faxon? Jim Rash? No. The character that truly saved this movie is Sam Rockwell's. His character was HILARIOUS. He was well-written, surprisingly developed, and, as you may expect from a Sam Rockwell character, was portrayed perfectly. Not many actors could say so much nonsense so fast without breaking character, but Sam Rockwell, one of the greatest actors of our generation, does it beautifully.
This was one of the sad Steve Carrell movies, and honestly, it's one of the better ones. I think the only one that beats it out is Little Miss Sunshine. In fact, since I don't really have much else to say about this movie except that I give it a B and that Jim Rash and Rob Corddry's characters were surprisingly terrible, I think I'm going to leave it at that and start working on a Stank-Ass Ranking for the sad Steve Carrell movies. But first, I just want to say that this is a classic example of why you should never judge a movie by its poster. Although the posters for this one are actually pretty accurate. You know what? That's a bad metaphor. Movie good. See it.

No comments:

Post a Comment